Week Five: Witches and Women in Genre: Akata Witch

For this week I read Akata Witch. In this whole semester I think this was my favorite read. I don't normally read witch stories but I think I will read more after reading this. I don't believe at all these witches are the typical "witch" archetype. They are different. Their powers had to be sourced and initiated at a young age. Their powers were also unlike any others. I also really liked how the perspective of the story was told in a children's view. They were smarter than kids that age. They walked, and held themselves differently. They were outspoken, and ready to defend themselves even when being bullied . More times than others kids can be shy, and timid at the mere ages of 12-16. I think that alone represented how culture models women with power. Women with power are usually the hard-headed ones who always speak their mind, and don't agree with anyone or anything in a easily influenced situation. Particularly I really liked Sonny's character. Surprisingly she was the youngest, but in my opinion the smartest. She was head strong, she asked questions when maybe she shouldn't of, and constantly said what was on her mind. I think a young girl able to do that is tremendous. At the age of 12 I couldn't even walk into a store alone without being fearful. Sonny seemed to not be fearful of anything. I also think that being albino aided her in being strong, and independent. She was already an outsider for so long I think being your own best friend her helped her in so many ways. She was brave all around, and the bravest women are the strongest. Sonny instilled that being brave meant she could do anything, and anything was possible. All in all this was a great read, and I can't wait to read the additional story after this.

Comments

Popular Posts