Week Twelve: I Live With You & What I Didn't See

For this week I read the short story "I live with you" by Carol Emshwiller. I actually really enjoyed this shorty very much. It was a bit weird, and confusing but I think thats why I liked it. It was interesting to read about a depiction of a person in someone else's eyes. The narrator talked about the lady she was spying on in such detail. She talked about the way she dressed, ate, moved, and just generally how she lived. The older lady following around this other lady was totally weird, and probably freaked her out, and maybe even me. In my opinion I don't think this story at all reflected on Majoritarian Culture, nor did it affect society as a whole in anyway. But if it were to depict any kind of societal thinking it could be that we all live different lives, and at the end of the day you don't know a person until you actually know a person. You don't know them if you can't relate, and you will never know them until you live just like them in every single aspect. That is the only conclusion I can can draw from this short story. It was basically about how a stranger was following around a single lady, and hooked her up with a man. It kind of Brought middle class together with lower class. I really a liked that. It compared 3 very similar people of all different classes. They were just alike in many ways, and then not in others. The other short story I read for this week was "What I Didn't See" by Karen Joy Fowler. I didn't like this one as much as I'd liked the other one. I kept getting lost in this shorty, and then coming back to realize what I did understand, didn't really mean what it meant. I think this story sort of aligns with the Majoritarian Culture, but again I'm not so sure. In the middle of the story it talked about how one women Beverly could change the perspective of how humans view gorillas, if she shot one. If beverly were to be pictured standing over a gorilla with a gun it could change perspective on gorillas and women. I guess I could depict this as society changing as a whole to view an object or person differently, and invoke new thinking. The title was also fitting because beverly never killed a gorilla, she actually just disappeared. Bad things actually happened, and the woman telling the story was much less of an interest to me. I also was a little bit disappointed when I didn't get to full understand what happened when the woman left, and massacre had happened. I wanted more detail but it sure did leave me feeling like "What I Didn't See", or maybe what I didn't read.

Comments

Popular Posts