Week Thirteen: Solaris

I personally think it’s a fine line to distinguish elements of genre, and writing in genre. This author really had to make up most of this story due to the fact it’s basically about a guy, who had a wife that killed herself and he flew off to another planet, and finds himself laying with his dead wife who is actually an “alien” or a “visitor”. I’m finding this a little hard to explain but he is writing a science fiction book where half of it’s made up, and half of it could be realistic.

I don’t think this is a necessary distinction. Who cares if he’s writing elements of genre or writing in the specific genre. It’s a good book at the end of day why do we have to distinguish such a small part of this story. It is clearly a science fiction book. I do however think this is an extremely creative book. The words he used, and the vivid imagination throughout the entire story is interesting, it keeps you thinking. I had to ask myself several times “well what the hell is that”. Essentially it didn’t matter because it was just this guy’s imagination. I don’t have to completely understand something to enjoy it.

I don’t think these questions at all affected my understanding of this book. They actually confused me. It made me rethink the book was written, but it did not entirely affect my viewing or understanding what was happening in this read.

Comments

Popular Posts